dt_1_scan_small.jpg (4895 bytes)

Terrell County Historic Preservation Society

dt_41_small.jpg (3328 bytes)
Home
Calendar
Driving Tour
Membership
Rental Facilities
Newsletter
Contact Us
Cemetery Project
Other Links
Home Tour 2008

BRIEF HISTORY OF TERRELL COUNTY

An act of the Georgia Legislature dated May 9, 1827 created 5 counties, Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll, from lands acquired from the Creek Indians for $28,000.00. Randolph County was created from Lee in 1828. The early settlers found it impossible at times to get to the county seats of the above counties crossing Kinchafoonee Creek to get to Webster and Lee Counties and Cuthbert across Ichawaynochaway, so on February 16, 1856, the Georgia Legislature created the new County of Terrell which was named for the eminent Physician and Statesman, Dr. William Terrell of Hancock County, Georgia.

Terrell County contains 322 square miles and lies in the southwestern part of the State.

The Courthouse was constructed in 1892 at a cost of $36,832.00; it is undergoing restoration at the present time.